Oryx offers select advisory services focused on adding value to real estate holdings. Oryx offers advisory services focused on land use entitlements and project management to property owners contemplating complex development projects. Oryx works closely with ownership to identify its goals, objectives, budget and risk outlook to offer solutions that will obtain the highest and best use for its real estate holdings. The Oryx team’s deep experience in all aspects of real estate development, investment and finance contributes to its overall ability to add significant value to a project.
Land Use Entitlements: Oryx has a track record of successfully obtaining land use entitlements in difficult municipalities, with a special focus on San Francisco and the Bay Area. Examples of Oryx’s successes include:
- 1001 Van Ness, San Francisco: Oryx initially obtained unanimous Planning Commission approval for a 239-unit high rise residential project, which Oryx later adapted to a 247-unit senior assisted living facility and was reapproved unanimously again by the Planning Commission with no appeals and strong community support.
- 950 Tennessee Street, San Francisco: Oryx obtained unanimous Planning Commission approval for a 105-unit multi-family mid-rise project on a site which was previously a light industrial building in the Dogpatch historic district. This approval required understanding the nuances of a historic district and navigating a highly involved neighborhood with a proactive community outreach process.
- 230 7th Street, San Francisco: Oryx obtained unanimous Planning Commission approval for a new 6-story residential building to replace the existing light industrial building in San Francisco’s SoMa district. This approval required navigating a planning approval process that included consideration for historic elements of the existing structure and potential shade on a nearby San Francisco Parks & Recreation property. There was no community opposition in a neighborhood known for community involvement.
- 13956 San Pablo Ave., San Pablo: Oryx obtained unanimous Planning Commission approval to change the use of an existing 132-bed vacant senior assisted-living facility to a 225-bed adult residential care facility offering mental health programming and support. This approval required extensive negotiation with City staff and addressing concerns expressed by Commissioners related to the new proposed use as well as COVID management practices.
Project Management: Oryx offers a range of Project Management services from coordinating entitlements to managing ground up development involving the design and construction teams in $100 Million+ high rise projects. Examples include:
- Central Shops Project for the City of San Francisco: Oryx was selected to design and build this $60 million, two-building, 105,000 GSF specialized light-industrial facility for the relocation of San Francisco’s Central Shops facility. Oryx managed the expedited design, pricing and construction schedule with successful final completion on schedule and on budget. The project team (comprising Oryx, the contractor, the architect and the City oversight team) won the San Francisco Partnering Gold Award for 2018 for their exemplary execution of the partnering approach.
- Oryx is currently managing the execution of two capital upgrade projects totaling $23 million on behalf of Sequoia Living at its existing continuing care retirement communities in Portola Valley and Marin. Sequoia Living chose to outsource a function that was previously carried out in-house and allocate the management cost to the capital projects. Oryx took over both projects from a prior project management firm that had failed to keep the projects on schedule and on budget. View the The Tamalpais Marin and The Sequoias Portola Valley